I don’t know why I didn’t realize this sooner or even bother to check, but the ‘Code Card’ with the e-ink screen that was given away at Oracle World a couple of years ago for an interactive lab has a ESP8266 chip on it that can be flashed with new code using a USB cable and the Arduino IDE.
There’s notes in the Arduino folder about flashing the card. These mostly worked for me apart from I found this sequence worked best:
- connect the card to your pc with a USB cable
- power on the card with the switch on the side
- hold the A button, don’t let go (this is important)
- if you have the serial tool window open in the Arduino IDE you’ll see the messages per the docs
- Start the Upload of your new code
- When the upload is connected and starts uploading, then you can let go of the A button
There’s a post with some more details here.